May is National Bike Month! Established in 1956, this national observance is celebrated in communities all over the country. Here in the Greater Philadelphia and South Jersey area, the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia and affiliate groups use the month to showcase the benefits of biking as well as encourage more people to explore their communities throughout the region by pedaling!
As part of Bike Month, there are a number of related national days to celebrate and several exciting local events coming up. To help get the good times rolling, we’ve rounded up a few events below to add to your calendar now to celebrate Bike Month. Be sure to keep checking back here for more events happening around the Circuit Trails network and on the Bicycle Coalition’s calendar for events taking place all around the region.
With hundreds of miles of open trails to enjoy, we hope you’ll get in the spirit of Bike Month by riding on the Circuit Trails and share your adventures using #OnTheCircuit on social media!
May 1 to 31
National Bike Month: Encourage more folks to give biking a try! This is an opportunity to (re)discover the joy of biking. You can get ride-ready by checking out these biking tips. Bike Month celebrations continue to grow, accelerating the momentum around bicycling nationwide.
National Bike and Roll to School Day: This national day invites students all across the country to participate, wherever they’re learning! From encouraging active lifestyles to promoting safe ways to roll and ride to school, the day is a fun way to inspire and engage future bike riders and rollers. Learn more from the National Center for Safe Routes to School.
- Dog Walker Watch & Bike Rodeo: Cross County Connection TMA is collaborating on a Bike Rodeo in Gloucester Township, New Jersey! The Bike Rodeo is scheduled for Saturday, May 14, from 10 a.m. to noon at the Timber Creek Dog Park, 1720 Chews Landing Road.
- Wilmington Grand Prix Criterium Races, Community Ride and Street Festival. The Wilmington Grand Prix is one of the premier criterium-style bike races in the U.S. Located in Wilmington, Delaware, the festival kicks off on Friday, May 13, and runs through Sunday, May 15, with the Grand Prix taking place on May 14.
- Bike to Work Challenge: Bike to Work Day returns to Chester County! Hosted by Transportation Management Association of Chester County (TMACC), the Challenge takes place along the Chester Valley Trail, and includes rizes, giveaways and a light breakfast..
Bike to Work and Wherever Day! Take part in this national day by up-cycling your commute, your errands, your workout routine — anywhere you choose to ride today makes you part of the movement for a healthier planet.
- The Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia is partnering with Bike Mercer County and the TMA Bucks on a group ride that will highlight the recently opened Scudder Falls Bridge and the connections it brings to the D&L and D&R Canal trails. The event will convene at Yardley Station in Bucks County. The ride will begin at 7:30am and end at Yardley Station at 8:30am. RSVP for the ride here!
- The Bicycle Coalition is also hosting morning Energizer Stations in the city on Friday morning. Stop by for coffee, high-fives and join us for a short group ride from the Penn Museum to City Hall.
- The Greater Valley Forge TMA is hosting two group rides for free in Chester and Montgomery counties! For more details, see their event page.
- The Delaware County TMA is hosting our 20th Annual Bike to Work event on the Delaware County Courthouse Lawn, Friday, May 20th 8:00am. The event will have a Pop-Up demo of HB 140 protected bike lane legislation and a press conference with State Senator Kearney at 10:00am. The event is held in conjunction with the Delaware County Planning Department and sponsored by Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union. Free refreshments, trail maps and an opportunity to network with fellow cyclists. Use #bikeDELCO to share your experience.
The Partnership TMA of Montgomery County encourages you to share your “Bike To Work Day” photos with them on social media to receive a complimentary ticket to their annual ‘lunch and learn’ meeting, “Greenways In Our Future!” To participate, simply use the hashtag #PartnershipTMA when you post your photos on social media.
- Explore the Circuit – Schuylkill River Trail in Chester County: On May 22 (rescheduled from May 7), we will explore the newly constructed connection along the Schuylkill River Trail (SRT) in Chester County. This extension, also known as Phase II of the SRT in the county, is a 4-mile paved extension that will take the trail from Linfield Road at Parker Ford, to the bridge crossing of the Schuylkill River at the Montgomery County border.