The Philadelphia Streets Department has commenced construction on six Safe Space for Cyclists protected bike lanes this week. These are upgrades that are a long time coming and the result of planning, advocacy, funding, and community meetings — most of which took place before the pandemic.
Locations of the protected bike lane construction and the order of construction:
1) Parkside Avenue from Girard Ave to 52nd St
2) 10th Street from Spring Garden St to Winter St
3) 6th Street from Spring Garden St to Market St
4) 5th Street from Callowhill St to Spring Garden St, 5th Street from Arch St to Race St
5) 2nd Street from Spring Garden St to Race St
This construction has been long overdue and Bicycle Coalition is excited for these new bike routes, some of which are new, some of which are extending current protected routes. But with the construction of these six protected bike lanes, starting in West Philadelphia and ending in Northern Liberties, we need to slow down and share the road safely. The purpose of this project is to work towards Vision Zero and dramatically reduce the number and severity of traffic crashes that occur in Philadelphia each year, with a long-term goal of eventually eliminating all traffic deaths.