The organizers of the Ride of Silence are still encouraging anyone to ride themselves, with family or household members or “virtually” (on a trainer) on either May 20th or on May 23rd to commemorate cyclists who lost their lives in traffic crashes.
For the Greater Philadelphia region, nine persons lost their lives since May 2019. We know that there are two more: one in Mercer County and one in Gloucester, in 2020, but there are no details other than they happened sometime this year.
|Deptford Center Rd
|3rd and Allegheny
The Ride of Silence organizers encourage the following:
- Ride in Silence
- Remember and honor those who’ve been hit & killed while riding or seriously injured
- Ride slowly and a relatively short distance – this is not a race
- Wear a helmet & a mask and obey road laws for bicyclists
- Take a selfie photo or 2 and use the hashtag #RideofSilence2020 and location of the event when posting their rides on social media.
- Please post to the ROS Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/
There are several ghost bikes in Center City, Northern Liberties, Brewerytown, and South Philly that you may want to visit during your ride:
- 11th and Spruce dedicated to Emily Fredricks
- 10th and Shunk dedicated to Julian Angelucci
- 2nd and Girard dedicated to Tony Aparecio
- Ridge and Girard dedicated to Vijay Mohan
- 10th and Spring Garden dedicated to Pablo Avendano