Planning to take a trip to the Jersey Shore while there’s still a few weeks left of summer? Soak up the sun along the coast from Long Beach Island to Cape May, where the existing bike infrastructure through the coastal towns provides a lovely way to enjoy the boardwalks, beaches and trails.
Here’s a rundown from a Philadelphia Inquirer article that caught our attention: their complete guide to renting a bike and picturesque rides that will take you on some of the best routes to explore the shore.
If you’re looking to travel light on your trip to the beach, consider this multitude of shops that offer bike rentals:
- Cape May
- Shields Bike Rentals | 11 Gurney St. | 609-898-1818 | shieldsbikerental.com | Daily, 7 AM to 7 PM | Cash only
- Village Bicycle Shop | 605 Lafayette St. | 609-884-8500 | villagebikescapemay.com | Daily, 8 AM to 6 PM | Cash only
- Riptide Paddles and Pedals | 703 Seashore Rd. | 609-884-0100 | riptidepaddlesandpedals.com | Monday to Saturday, 11 AM to 4 PM
- Wildwood Crest
- D R Bradley’s Bike Rentals | 500 E. Rambler Rd. | 609-729-1444 | facebook.com/drbradleybikes | Daily, 7 AM to 7 PM
- Crest Bike Rental | 500 E. Heather Rd. | 609-522-5763 | crestbikerental.com | Daily, 7 AM to 7 PM
- Green’s Bike Rentals | 5402 Ocean Ave. | 609-522-7786 | greensbikerentals.com | Daily, 7 AM to 6 PM
- Zippy’s Bikes | 3900 Pacific Ave. | 609-408-8956 | zippysbikes.com | Daily, 9 AM to 6 PM
- North Wildwood
- Sportland Bike Rental | 435 E. 24th Ave. | 609-522-4408 | sportlandbikerental.com | Daily, 8 AM to 12 PM through September 25th
- Stone Harbor
- Harbor Bike & Beach Shop | 9828 Third Ave. | 609-368-3691 | harborbike.com | Daily, 9 AM to 5 PM
- Hollywood Bicycle Center | 2522 Dune Dr. | 609-967-5846 | hollywoodbikeshop.com | Monday to Saturday, 9 AM to 5 PM; Saturday, 9 AM to 5 PM; Sunday, 10 AM to 4 PM; Closed Wednesday
- Sea Isle City
- SIC Cruisers | 6300 Landis Ave. | 609-263-3700 | siccruisers.com | Thursday to Monday, 9 AM to 5 PM
- Ocean City
- Ocean City Bicycle Center | Eighth St. & Atlantic Ave. | 609-399-5550 | oceancitybicyclecenter.com | Monday to Thursday, 7 AM to 3 PM; Friday to Sunday, 7 AM to 5 PM
- Bob’s 14th St. Bike & Surrey Rentals | 1368 Boardwalk | 786-306-3067 | bobsgrilloceancity.com | Daily, 7 AM to 9 PM through Labor Day
- Margate Bike Shop | 12 S. Essex Ave. | 609-822-9415 | Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM; Saturday, 8 AM to 5 PM; Sunday, 8 AM to 3 PM
- AAAA Bike Shop | 5300 Ventnor Ave. | 609-487-0808 | aaaabikeshop.com | Monday to Saturday, 9 AM to 5 PM; Sunday, 9 AM to 3 PM
- Atlantic City
- Cycles of Life | 1117 Arctic Ave. and 3015 Boardwalk | 732-814-0236 and 732-814-0236 | thecyclesoflife.com | Daily, 9 AM to 6 PM (Arctic Ave.) and 8 AM to 8 PM (Boardwalk)
- Brant Beach, Long Beach Island
- Shore Brake Cyclery | 3801 Long Beach Blvd. | 609-342-0480 | shorebrakecyclery.com | Daily, 10 AM to 5 PM
Be sure to check out the suggested routes provided in the article that range from 46 miles to a few miles along the boardwalks and trails of Long Beach Island down to Cape May. All routes are gauged at moderately easy and mostly flat for all ages and abilities to enjoy the shore.
Read next: Tour de Jersey Shore about one rider’s 130 mile trip down the coast, ft. our own New Jersey expert John Boyle!