Planning to take a trip to the Jersey Shore while there’s still a few weeks left of summer? Soak up the sun along the coast from Long Beach Island to Cape May, where the existing bike infrastructure through the coastal towns provides a lovely way to enjoy the boardwalks, beaches and trails.
Here’s a rundown from a Philadelphia Inquirer article that caught our attention: their complete guide to renting a bike and picturesque rides that will take you on some of the best routes to explore the shore.
If you’re looking to travel light on your trip to the beach, consider this multitude of shops that offer bike rentals:
- Cape May
- Shields Bike Rentals | 11 Gurney St. | 609-898-1818 | shieldsbikerental.com | Daily, 7 AM to 7 PM | Cash only
- Village Bicycle Shop | 605 Lafayette St. | 609-884-8500 | villagebikescapemay.com | Daily, 8 AM to 6 PM | Cash only
- Riptide Paddles and Pedals | 703 Seashore Rd. | 609-884-0100 | riptidepaddlesandpedals.com | Monday to Saturday, 11 AM to 4 PM
- Wildwood Crest
- D R Bradley’s Bike Rentals | 500 E. Rambler Rd. | 609-729-1444 | facebook.com/drbradleybikes | Daily, 7 AM to 7 PM
- Crest Bike Rental | 500 E. Heather Rd. | 609-522-5763 | crestbikerental.com | Daily, 7 AM to 7 PM
- Green’s Bike Rentals | 5402 Ocean Ave. | 609-522-7786 | greensbikerentals.com | Daily, 7 AM to 6 PM
- North Wildwood
- Stone Harbor
- Sea Isle City
- Ocean City
- Margate Bike Shop | 12 S. Essex Ave. | 609-822-9415 | Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM; Saturday, 8 AM to 5 PM; Sunday, 8 AM to 3 PM
- Atlantic City
- Brant Beach, Long Beach Island
Be sure to check out the suggested routes provided in the article that range from 46 miles to a few miles along the boardwalks and trails of Long Beach Island down to Cape May. All routes are gauged at moderately easy and mostly flat for all ages and abilities to enjoy the shore.
Read next: Tour de Jersey Shore about one rider’s 130 mile trip down the coast, ft. our own New Jersey expert John Boyle!